Monday, March 12, 2012

Laughter

At a recent seminar, I learned that laughter adds to your lifespan. I also learned that your brain can't tell the difference between real and fake laughter - I would say that's a win win. Usually when laughter occurs, something good is happening. Knowing that Christ wants what is good for us or desires our happiness, I can't help but think that He gave us the gift of laughter while full knowing that it would add to our life.

This week, I have laughed...and I'm talking about the deep, full, tears running down your face kind of laughter. During those times of laughter, good things were happening, I was surrounded by good people, and happiness was occurring. God only knows how much I needed this type of week! Plus, I also added years to my life - bonus!

To start off, last week I started my first week of first grade. Too many new things happened that week to name, but I will say this: my mentor teacher is amazing, the kids say some crazy things, I have a British kid in my class (SCORE!), and laughter regularly is heard in our room.

Now to the fun stuff...

To kick off my spring break, I went to visit Elena and Alex in San Antonio. I freaking love my sister, her husband, and their friends.  Every day I was there, I was reminded of how lucky I am to have the family and the friends that I have. Every day was fantastic and laughter was a common way to end our nights. I truly did not want to come home and was sadder than normal to come back to reality.

I also want to note that Elena and Alex very lovingly bought my tickets so that I could come to San Antonio. They both know how hard it's been for me lately and saw an opportunity to take me away from the fogginess of life for a few days. I did not ask them to do this random gift of kindness. This just shows their heart. I can't get over how thankful I am! Their act of kindness truly touched me in a very deep way that I can't truly express. When you go through heartache, you don't feel very worthy or loved as often as you would like. Buying plane tickets as an escape to this, made me feel so incredibly loved and cherished...something that again, I haven't felt in awhile.

In order to not make this a terribly long blog, I'm just going to post the highlights of the trip:

When I arrived to SA, Alex and Elena greeted me with a sign (it said, "We love you Liz!"). I found out later that Alex found this poster in the airport's recycling bin and reused it. This made my poster even more special haha :) 

I had the joy of hanging out with Phillip and Hannah: two of my favorite people. These two are truly wonderful inside and out...and just plain hilarious. 

Hannah was gracious enough (and brave enough) to teach me how to ride her motorcycle!

Truly one of the scariest/coolest things I have done in a long time. I got the hang of going really slow and I only fell 3 times... not that bad, right? ;)

I was able to see Katherine and Natalie. I love this picture for so many reasons... 
PS: Finally being able to see Katherine was a wonderful highlight - what a beautiful person and friend!

Did I mention we all went to see a real roller-derby race? So intense. It was like seeing "Whip It" live. 

Elena and I went to Austin Monday afternoon to have some sisterly bonding time. We went to random stores and tried on funny looking things. Great time!

...and we got a tad overwhelmed at the boot store... 

This picture was taken at the park the previous day, but I just love it so much. SO humbly thankful and blessed to have Elena as my sister and friend! Love, love, love her!

Last but not least, I came home to this wonderful surprise: my college quilt! Mom worked so hard on it and it came out beautifully! The picture doesn't show how pretty this quilt is. Thanks for your hard work Mom! :) 

Overall, I am so thankful that I can still laugh during storms. It's amazing how God places people and instances in your life at specific times to remind you of His glory and His desire to bring you happiness...even when it doesn't feel like it. 









1 comment:

  1. Such a good blog!!....It's so good for us as parents to see the love that you have with each of your sibilings and with each other!...I also was blessed with wonderful sisters whom I dearly love!...God has been good to us!

    Much love,

    Papi

    ReplyDelete