Sunday, March 25, 2012

Running

"For I am your God who takes hold of your right hand and says, 'Do not fear; I will help you.'" Isaiah 41:13 

We're learning about synonyms in first grade and one of the first graders did awful on their practice worksheet. I called him over, let him look at his grade, and said, "If you need help, let me know...I'm here to help you - I want to help you. Let's work on this together." In that moment, I was given a clear image of God saying the exact same thing to me. 

Among other things, God has revealed a hidden sin of mine: I strive to please my family and close friends when it comes to relationships. For some reason, their approval means everything to me and when I don't feel like I'm getting it or that I'm disappointing them, I freeze. It's as if I forget what God is calling me to do and what I know will make me happy and try desperately to please everyone else. 

I've also been reminded of a very profound truth this week: I'm here to please Christ and be obedient to what He is directing me to do - even if it's messy and doesn't make sense. 

I have always found that when I do follow Him, He reveals Himself in the most unusual ways... 

Like cutting through the darkness of a storm... 

...or through the gift of family... 

...or through a lasting friendship. 

God says to find approval in no one besides Him. This is hard when you feel the pressure of a black and white world. But if I've been reminded of anything this week, it's that when God calls you to do something, you have to do it. You have to run, trust, be faithful, and believe in who He says He is.

So, here's to running. 




1 comment:

  1. Two verses prior to the one noted at the beginning of your post is Isaiah 41:10 which has been one of my life-long Bible verses. I remember thinking about that verse in my youth when I was facing problems, doubts and other concerns and how it comforted me. It still is a promise from God that each one of us can claim and make it personal. I pray that our Lord will bring you a clear picture of His will for your life. Trust in Him!...He'll show you the way!...

    Much love,

    Papi

    ReplyDelete